3/02/2006

God's Names, God's Promises

His names describe Him.

EL: God "mighty, strong, prominent" (Genesis 7:1; Isaiah 9:6)
ELOHIM: God “Creator, Mighty and Strong” (Genesis 17:7; Jeremiah 31:33)
EL SHADDAI: “God Almighty or” "God All Sufficient" (Genesis 49:24; Micah 2:1)
ADONAI: “Lord” (Genesis 15:2; Judges 6:15)
YHWH / YAHWEH / JEHOVAH: “LORD” (Deuteronomy 6:4; Daniel 9:14)
YAHWEH-YIREH: "The LORD will Provide" (Genesis 22:14)
YAHWEH-ROPHE: "The LORD Who Heals" (Isaiah 61:1)
YAHWEH-NISSI: "The LORD Our Banner" (Exodus 17:15)
YAHWEH-M'KADDESH: "The LORD Who Sanctifies" (Leviticus 20:8)
YAHWEH-SHALOM: "The LORD Our Peace" (Judges 6:24)
YAHWEH-ELOHIM: "LORD God" (Genesis 2:4; Psalms 59:5)
YAHWEH-TSIDKENU: "The LORD Our Righteousness” (Jeremiah 33:16)
YAHWEH-ROHI: "The LORD Our Shepherd" (Psalms 23:1)
YAHWEH-SHAMMAH: "The LORD is There” (Ezekiel 48:35)
YAHWEH-SABAOTH: "The LORD of Hosts" (Isaiah 1:24; Psalms 46:7)
EL ELYON: “Most High" (Deuteronomy 26:19)
EL ROI: "God of Seeing" (Genesis 16:13)
EL-OLAM: "Everlasting God" (Psalms 90:1-3)
EL-GIBHOR: “Mighty God” (Isaiah 9:6)

I have been wondering what the bible means when it says, "the name of the LORD." It says that people called on His name, did things in His name, made oaths by His name, etc. I'm like, what IS God's name? Apparently He transcends name and we are only given descriptives.

His name is probably only able to be spoken by Heavenly beings, but the Jews were given the name: I AM or GOD IS which is meant by the Tetragrammaton: YHWH

Because of the Holiness of His name, we cannot speak it. I'm glad for that. I even feel like I am being irreverent posting YHWH here. But I know He sees how I am searching for Him in all this.

I intend to study this website too:
Click here for the 100 names of Jesus

3 comments:

Mark 1:17 said...

Hi,
It's been a long time since I have commented!

This is awesome and I loved the link to the 100 names of Jesus!!!

FYI:
If you have a Hebrew Bible and you read it carefully, you will notice a two letter word that does not get translated into english, this occures mostly in Genesis, but also in a few other books (I believe Isaiah is one). These two letters are the A and Z of the Hebrew alphabet! The beginning and the end!
Kind of like Jesus was putting His signature in the text!!!
I used to know a website for more info, but I can't remember it, if I think of it I will let you know.

In Christ,

David

P.S. I just found that site....
http://www.restoringthetruth.com/articles/aleftavstudy.htm

here is another one....
http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Grammar/Unit_One/Jesus_and_the_Aleph-Bet/jesus_and_the_aleph-bet.html

Kelli B said...

Wow -

It's so fun to learn from you! And from this guy who commented. I am doing a study right now about the names of the Lord - this list is amazing, Im really, really enjoying learning more about facets of my Lord that I never knew or believed before.

Wayman said...

The double names for a god is not all that uncommon in the anciant Near East. At times when there was a lesser god supassing the next, or if two gods served the same function they were at times combined into one double name.

Ashtartu takhazi, meaning Athtart of the battle,

Kothar-wa-Khasis, meaning Skillful-and-Wise

Athtartu of the Field

Ishkhara of the Ocean-Ishtar

And the well known Amon-Ra
So lastly Yahweh-Eloheim and the ones you have listed are quite interesting to think about.