3/24/2006

Therese Martin

The Catholics call her St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face, and St. Therese The Little Flower. Her patronage is here. There's just way too much info to paste in my post. :)

I just saw a movie called (you guessed it!) "Therese" about the life of this girl. Many things struck me about her story. I was able to ignore most of the Catholic ritual that I didn't understand and let the movie speak to me. Then I saw at the end of the movie that her writings were published! That's obviously where the movie came from. The other nuns found her writings and published them. It is called "The Story of a Soul" it is her posthumous autobiography. They published her writings a year after she died. Now she is a Saint! The seed fell into the ground and died...

I found some great quotes from her fansite.

"I wish to suffer for Love's sake and for Love's sake even to rejoice; thus shall I strew flowers. Not one shall I find without shedding its petals for Thee...and then I will sing, I will always sing, even if I must gather my roses in the very midst of thorns - and the longer and sharper the thorns the sweeter shall be my song. "

"I know of one means only by which to attain to perfection: LOVE. Let us love, since our heart is made for nothing else. Sometimes I seek another word to express Love, but in this land of exile the word which begins and ends is quite incapable of rendering the vibrations of the soul; we must then adhere to this simple and only word: TO LOVE.

But on whom shall our poor heart lavish its love? Who shall be found that is great enough to be the recipient of its treasures? Will a human being know how to comprehend them, and above all will he be able to repay? There exists but one Being capable of comprehending love; it is Jesus; He alone can give us back infinitely more than we shall ever give to him."

She rocks. If you rent the movie be ready for an innocent, clear, pure, and very Catholic experience. But it really set my heart in a gentle state when I just looked past the ritual (not that it's bad ritual, it's just beyond me) I was able to see through her eyes just a little. Her actual face has a LOT of depth. I can put that in my post. :)


What a life it must have been, or must be, as a nun! I've visited the Carmelite Church and one time I sat in front of this monastery in my car debating whether or not I should go and knock on the big iron door. I was having a crisis and I wanted to speak to someone holy. After going over many scenarios in my head and remembering that I didn't know ANYTHING about Catholicism, I drove off.

I still would love to meet a woman who has devoted their entire life to Jesus like Therese or Mother Theresa. Mama Heidi is like that, though she's not a nun. People like that just floor me. It really give me joy knowing that I'll get to meet them in Heaven. Maybe we'll cruise the Milky Way together...

p.s. don't miss the post below this one, I wrote them on the same day...for those of you wanting an update on things.

1 comment:

Desert Darlyn said...

I've read lots of things on St Therese. She was the saint's name that I took upon my "confirmation" at age 12 in the catholic church. I just read a really huge book about her life about 2 years ago. She was a true lover of Jesus, but what I found interesting was that she suffered a period of time with doubt and dry prayer.

I was going thru such a time myself and took heart because if someone like her could go thru a dry spell, I could identify. Also, Keith Green, who loved Jesus above all things, wrote about a hardened heart and dry prayers in a few of his songs.

Praise the Lord that he brings these insights our way so that we know we are only human--not perfect, just saved by the blood of Jesus. Aren't we lucky?